Sat 23 Jan 2016

Pendle RUFC
North Manchester RUFC

After A number of weeks of matches being called off due to bad weather Pendle were finally able to get the first game of 2016 under their belts.

   With only a few minutes on the clock Carl Wisemans turnover from the ruck was driven hard by the pack three times before releasing the backs who moved the ball quickly through the hands to James Redford who sidestepped his opposite number to touch down for the first try.
With Pendles scrum in the ascendency a strong drive allowed Danny Rowland to quickly ship the ball on to Rob Lawless who smashed way through the opposition defence and score to make it 10-0.
Pendle were now camped in the Manchester half and piling on the pressure with relentless attacks, it was only a matter of time until Phoenix scored again.
  This came when New Zealander Caleb White caught the ball and set up a ruck, once again quick ball and sublime handling by the backs found Paul McGladdery out wide who squeezed into the corner to score.
The Manchester side were still struggling to deal with the pressure Pendle were exerting on them, Craig Wiseman and Lee Rowland carried deep into opposition territory where Rueben Gill then passed the ball out of contact to find Alex Woodcock who finished off the move with his first try of the match, which Lawless converted.
With halftime still a few minutes away a Manchester lineout was stolen by Captain, James Finucane and the ball passed onto Ben Peverley who linked well with the Pendle backline and then Brad Ramshead sidestepped his way over the line to dot down, once again Lawless added the extras.
   Lawless then went on to score the next try moments before the half-time whistle and make it 34-0 at the break.
   North Manchester started the second half with renewed self belief and pressed Pendle hard which resulted in them scoring the next try from a 5m scrum when their number 8 went over in the corner from the short side.
Pendle replied immediately from the restart when Carl Wiseman took the ball and drove up to the 22 and offloaded to Woodcock who crossed the whitewash for his second off the day, Lawless added the conversion. 
With Pendle now making changes coupled with Manchester now 'flexing their muscles' Phoenix found themselves on the backfoot for 10 minutes and  this led to Manchester scoring their second try and making it 49-10. Eventually Pendle managed to regain control of the game and added to the score when Rob Lawless went over for his hat trick after great work from Gill.
      The next score came as a result from powerplay by the forwards found Sonny Waddington at pace only a last ditch tackle a few metres from the line by the Manchester defence stopped him from scoring but he managed to pop the ball up to Ramshead who went over to finish the move with a well deserved score.
The final score of the day came when the superb Carl Wiseman once again finished off exciting interlinking play between forwards and backs to make it 63-10.
This was Pendles second game and first win under new coach Simon Entwistle who has re-invigorated this Pendle side with a mixture of new ideas,new players and great enthusiasm !